Cinderella- This is the first of a series of 3 images. The concept involved investigating the origins of famous fairytales in illustrative imagery. The image is a snapshot immediately after a moment of high intensity. It investigates how the story of the characters can be imbued in the objects around them. Every decision that was made design wise was influenced by a desire to add to the depth of the story in a highly detailed manner. I am responsible for all aspects of this piece. The shoes are 3D modeled and textured in Maya and Mudbox. It is rendered in mental ray. The background is composited in from Photoshop.
Beauty and the Beast- This is the second of a series of three images. It shows a chandelier reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast. Coupled with the title it allows the audience to recognize and relate it back to Beauty and the Beast, but wonder why the imagery is slightly different from what they already knew. I hope to encourage a sense of curiosity to research further into the original story. I am responsible for all aspects of the piece. It was modeled and textured in Maya, Mudbox, and Photoshop. It was rendered in Mental Ray.
Snow White- This is the last of the series of 3 fairytale images. Coupled with the title the audience can understand and investigate further into the original story of Snow White, where the Queen had attempted to poison her through selling her an ornate comb. I am responsible for all aspects of this piece. It was modeled, textured, and lit in Maya, Mudbox, and Photoshop. And it was rendered in Mental Ray.
Backpack- This is an example of studies in organic modeling that I was doing. It was important to me to imbue a high sense of detail within this backpack. It gives the object character. I am responsible for all aspects of this piece. It was modeled, textured and lit in Maya, Mudbox, and Photoshop. It was rendered in Arnold.
Cot- This is a piece that was made for an internship at the University of Toledo. I was working on content for an immersive virtual reality room. The goal was to create a way for med students to practice proper medical procedure in a realistic way. It was modeled and textured in Maya and rendered in Arnold.
Lighting Study- This piece was an attempt to replicate a photograph with lighting. It was important for me to explore how to make realistic lighting in 3D. I first took the original photo, took note of the directionality of the lights in the photo. Then I painted over top of it to get an even more in depth idea of the colors. Lastly I began placing the lights to closely mirror that of the original photo. All aspects were by me. The piece was modeled, textured, and lit in Maya and rendered in Arnold.
Mummy Cabinet- This is a piece that I made at Ohio State University as part of my continuing research into object oriented meaning making. I took a story that was not very well known, such as the story of a mummy that used to be at a history museum, and gave it a different platform. The mummy itself was seen as a curiosity when it was first placed in the museum so I thought it fitting to allude to the mummy through objects in a curiosity cabinet. All of the articles on the doors are real as are all of the pictures. I added my own story to it by showing my research paths. There is highlighter and sticky notes leading to different areas of interest through the piece that I placed to lead the viewer in the right directions. The cabinet also runs in augmented reality and is triggered by a QR code placed in the building where the mummy used to be. You can interactively look through and touch the objects in the cabinet for more information. The piece is modeled, textured, and lit in Maya, Mudbox, Photoshop, and runs in Unity and Vuforia as well.
Into Dust- This is a piece made at the Ohio State University. The entire piece is an examination of how light and sound can change the tone of the story. The goal was to allude to character without showing them at all. I was responsible for the lighting, compositing, and editing. The piece was made in Maya, rendered in Arnold and edited in After Effects.
Room Lighting Study- This is an attempt to light an environment at a certain time of day. I was attempting to explore more compositing and lighting skills. I am responsible for the lighting and texturing. This was made in Maya and After Effects, rendered in Arnold.